Not just this morning but everytime I have taken a flight , gone to see a movie, I have witnessed this.
We carry numbered tickets/ boarding cards so there should’nt be a stampede right? What prompts people to elbow, stamp and push everyone else to be the first through the door! Why do they try to be the first to get in to a movie hall, that they prevent the people from the previous show, from getting out. It happenes in trains, buses, elevators too!
I have always wondered about the door that forces people out of their natural sense of inertia! I have a few theories on this - if you will
• Feeling of success - accomplishment - the door represents the reaching of a target, the achieving of a goal – whether or not it has any material rewards! Maybe the reward is in the race itself!
• The sub-conscience treats every door as the finish line of a race in an effort to try and make winning a habit
• It is a chain reaction started by the first person who makes a rush for the door – seeing someone else trying to be the first forces a person to defeat that person!
* Another could be - they are most unconcerned about their fellow passengers
• The final possibility – in my opinion the most likely – is that most people are impatient and are blind followers.
Am sure there must be more motivations that I am unclear on