Wednesday

Wild & breathless football

Armed with burgers, margaritas and beer, we were as ready as could be. Willing mentally for an exciting attacking Arsenal. Domination. Onwards!





The bets were placed. The gloves were off. The Arsenal fans were bubbling with confidence, the Liverpool fans with fake bravado. This is The Emirates for chrissake!:) ‎




I've been angry, embarrassed, even sad, since Manchester United put us through the humiliation 2 seasons ago. Was unconsciously clutching at that to settle some anger this Monday game. I wasn't gonna return to The Emirates in a hurry after this AFC - LFC match, so in some convoluted fashion was trying to do a 2-in-1! Hoping my physical presence in the stadium will impact the boys to trounce LFC.

We started with a handicap- no Per, no Kosc from the outset. We were starting with an unfamiliar centre-back pairing - inexperienced and not the best defence against the physical threat of Benteke. We could have lost that game in the first half. Dodgy offside call and big chances missed for both sides. You know things are bad when Mesut misplaces 6 passes in one half, or, when you see basic errors from Chamber's. Some say it was a fantastic game of football this, which somehow finished 0-0. I felt let down and cheated of a great attack, I wanted a win at home, to me this result was very disappointing. 




I was looking forward to a kickass game, my first ever at The Emirates, where I wanted to see LFC's butt kicked hard! The FH saw me finish my well manicured nails with LFC dominating and the referee being an ace jerk disallowing the Rambo goal despite he being onside! What a beautiful magical pass from Santi Cazorla when he slipped a weighted pass behind the Liverpool back line for Aaron Ramsey to slot it home, only for it to be incorrectly ruled out for offside.How that hurt:( 

The SH finally saw Arsenal up their game, a massive shift in momentum saw Arsenal begin to look much more threatening, Liverpool started dropping deeper and deeper. Petr Chech made some vital saves for Arsenal, boy! is he a leader! Despite being under pressure for long periods we had a goalkeeper who was more than capable of saving the day for us. He certainly helped keep the scoreline blank:) The fans sitting around us believed Arsenal should have had a penalty after Lucas fouled Giroud on the edge of the box but Michael Oliver didn’t share the same view. Liverpool stayed resolute, were defensively very good and the game closed at 0-0




Would I have ever predicted a draw for this game? Not a chance in hell. But my 10 y.o. nephew, an LFC fan forced me to agree, to put money on a 0-0 result. And lo behold I was financially richer yes, emotionally drained, physically shivering with the cold and rains - this Arsenal game definitely has been stamped in my memory forever. 
 
Seeing Arsene Wenger in the flesh and blood made the tense stalemate a bright spot that fateful monday:):):)  Anyone see the nonchalant aggression?:):)


11 comments:

RavneetSingh said...

What a game! The fact that we were in a large group ourselves made it even more fun! It certainly didn't help your case with so many being ManUtd and Lfc fans haha. But gotta admit, it was much fun. I am glad I was there. We shld do this more often in your next trip. Miss ya!

Shweta said...

oooo my someone went to the emirates? e.n.v.i.o.u.s! want to know all this weekend!

john said...

I'll be damned! You were in London and I didn't know?

Rajj said...

Hey Mee! Sounds like a dream come true for a gunner fan from here! So happy for you, that you finally fructified one of your big must do's:)

Pharma Pharmer said...

Hey, Awesooome! What else to say on this blissful experience of the lifetime

sheila said...

Suddenly remembered John Cross and how cross we get about him! Any chance you punched him in the you know where!!:):):):)

melinda said...

What happened to Benzima?:(

ashish said...

This has been coming a long while. I am surprised it took as long. Pumped for you M, glad you saw the gunners in the flesh!

Mystuff said...

Well it wasn't one of our best performances, but am sure we had lotsa fun :)
musta been a great experience for a big gooner fan like u :))

sanjiv said...

Cant wait to know more, almost wish to be at the Emirates myself:)Tho have seen matches at the Highbury!

gita said...

COYG COYG COYG COYG COYG COYG COYG COYG COYG COYG COYG COYG COYG COYG COYG COYG COYG COYG COYG COYG COYG COYG COYG COYG COYG COYG COYG COYG COYG COYG COYG COYG COYG COYG COYG COYG Go go go!! Silverware this time!