Tuesday

A week full of conferences and conclaves

Why do most people attend events and conclaves and seminars? I for my part have done the rounds of Nasscom, Economic Times Compass and now FICCI. For the learning's? Yea sure. But more often than not it is for networking, exchanging visiting cards, reconnecting and connecting with industrywallahs!

I over heard last week at a dinner do , someone whispering why FICCI is a no no for him. It is too much about television and entertainment he thinks. And this gentleman thought they the entertainment guys cant or don’t think beyond themselves. He thought it was meaningless and irrelevant whatever they do, considering they do not cover 80 per cent of the industry. They just cover entertainment industry, and for them entertainment is the world.

So. with much trepidation I started out to attend FICCI – touted to be the largest media and entertainment convention in Asia. Despite the many allegations hurled at the event year-on-year – same people, same subjects, just networking not learning – FICCI continues to be an important event on many calendars, including that of media magnates, Bollywood rulers and the government.

The names at the event are as big as can get, and there are international dignitaries too, not to forget the Indian film industry honchos, who have a lot more to discuss this year.

As globalization brings in crossover and mingling of cultures with the film industry too playing a critical role, there now seems to be an increasing demand for Bollywood films in the West. The next couple of days will see Television Radio, Internet, Print all under the scanner- it promises to dish out some unusual fare or so is my expectation

8 comments:

ashish said...

Hey I go to such conferences to honestly pick thot leaders, their vision and learn frm them. Do tell how FICCI goes

sanjiv said...

My heartfelt sympathies to you for suddering thru such long days, I absolutely cannot bring myself to be in one place all day!!

gita said...

The way I see such events is a good diversion, takes me away from office all day and get a paid for lunch and coffees hehehe

Raj said...

Its much needed fuel for the brain:) how else do we stimulate those grey cells??

Shweta said...

Imagine how many job offers we may miss out if we don't go for such events:)

john said...

For me its a Greenday, no using power in office, saving the microwave energy at lunch hour, the gallons of power saved because I am not drinking those many coffees and ofcourse saving water!! Am I not doing my bit now:)

kay said...

i for one think that conferences and such are necessary exercises which we undergo to keep up with new technology,meeting old contacts making new ones,learning some new marketing strategies with some well known speakers and on the whole yes spending a few days out of your daily grind, getting some much needed break , with other contempories exchanging thoughts.

Little Miss said...

Hi M,
I just looked up FICCI, what a happening event.Wish I could have been there.It would have been good to listen to industry stalwarts and thought leaders. I am sure it must be engaging. Hope to read more from you on this :)